Bosham mother calls for beach barbecue ban after child is burnt

Latest news.
Latest news.
0
Have your say

AS temperatures heat up a mother has issued a plea to beach-goers warning of the dangers of disposable barbecues.

Sarah Shepherd’s daughter Pippa, five, was burnt on East Head beach last Saturday (June 27) after she was scorched on sand still hot from a disposable barbecue.

She suffered severe burns on her feet and was taken to hospital, before being referred to a specialist burns unit.

Sarah, from Bosham, said Pippa was in a stable condition.

“Recovery will take weeks and in the meantime she cannot walk or put any pressure on her feet.”

Now Sarah has called for disposable barbecues to be banned from the beach.

“People should really not be taking disposable barbecues to the beach, the risks involved are just too high.

“Beach goers need to be considerate to others and not risk any damage to the environment or humans.

“As we saw with Pippa, it’s not just a case of allowing a barbecue to cool down but the sand and stones around it can cause damage well after it has been moved or extinguished.

“I would urge people to leave barbecues at home and to be very careful on the beach if you see any barbecues.

“I would like to thank the Harbour Conservancy with all their help up until the point that the ambulance arrived.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.chichester.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ChichesterObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @Chiobserver

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Chichester Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.