BREAKING NEWS: Woodburning stove starts roof fire near Midhurst

editorial image

FIREFIGHTERS are still at the scene of a blaze in the roof of a bungalow in Iping, near Midhurst, which is believed to have been started by a woodburning stove.

The fire is now out but crews from Midhurst and Haslemere are at the house in Hammer Lane damping down and making safe.

They were called shortly before 9am today (Friday, February 26) after reports of a fire in the roof space.

A West Sussex Fire and Rescue spokesman said 30 per cent of the roof was damaged by the fire which started accidentally.

Firefighters used breathing apparatus and two hose reels to tackle the blaze.

It was extinguished by 10.15am

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.midhurstandpetworth.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/MidhurstandPetworthObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @mid_pet_obs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Midhurst and Petworth Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.