Business as usual at The Rising Sun after six rescued from smoke logged pub in Milland

The Rising Sun pub in Milland ENGSUS00120140201145826
The Rising Sun pub in Milland ENGSUS00120140201145826

IT was business as usual at The Rising Sun pub in Milland after six staff had a lucky escape in the early hours of this morning (Friday, September 19)

They were rescued from a room upstairs by firefighters after smouldering tea towels left the ground floor of the pub filled with smoke.

The tea towels had been removed from the tumbler drier the previous evening and left in a bundle in a plastic box.

Over the next seven hours they began to self combust.

Members of staff asleep upstairs were alerted when the pub’s fire alarms went off and they called the fire service.

Pub owner Ben Burston told The Observer they had had a lucky escape and the smoke had not damaged the pub which had recently been repainted.

“The fire service were really brilliant,” he said, “I really appreciate their quick and effective action.

“Having worked with the fire service over the last few years to ensure the safety of the pub and particularly the staff living upstairs, it was great that all the systems and alarms put in place paid off and everyone is safe and there was little or no damage to the pub.”