HOUSEHOLDERS will have to foot the cost of replacing their refuse and recycling bins in future.
Plans to introduce charges were given the go-ahead by Chichester District Council on Tuesday (July 19) – with only two members voting against them.
The charge, expected to be about £30 for the standard 240-litre bin, was said to be aimed at recovering the council’s cost in providing it.
Property occupiers receiving council tax benefit should get a 20 per cent discount, the council agreed.
Some local residents’ groups have criticised the proposals, and said bins should continue to be provided free.
But Cllr John Connor, cabinet member for environment and community safety, said before the introduction of the wheeled bins, householders were expected to supply their own bins.
When the wheeled bins were first introduced, it was implicit that when they needed to be replaced householders would meet the cost of replacement.
Cllr Connor said the bins were extremely durable – it was estimated they should last ten years or more.
Problems with them so far had mainly related to misuse of bins, or accidental damage.
Closed-circuit TV on refuse vehicles would pick up instances of accidental damage caused by crews.