Jail for ‘professional’ burglar who raided homes in Chichester, Bognor and Littlehampton

Jailed. Albert Ian James. Hampshire Police picture
Jailed. Albert Ian James. Hampshire Police picture

A Chichester man who carried out a ‘campaign of highly professional burglaries’ across the south, including raiding homes in Bognor Regis and Littlehampton, has today been jailed for eight years.

Albert Ian James, 58, of Mill Road Crescent, Donnington, had been found guilty of committing 47 burglaries and four attempted burglaries in West Sussex and Hampshire, police said.

Items including high value jewellery and cash were taken from homes in Bognor, Littlehampton, Chichester, Waterlooville, Fareham, and Portsmouth.

Today, Friday, July 22, James was sentenced to a total of eight years in prison, following an extensive investigation into a series of burglaries between October and December, 2014.

Having been found guilty by a jury at Portsmouth Crown Court on June 20, James was sentenced at the same court today.

Hampshire Police is reporting that the jury took four and a half hours to reach their unanimous verdict, with the judge describing James’ offences during sentencing as ‘a campaign of highly professional burglaries’.

Investigating officer DS Simon Clacey, who oversaw the entire investigation, said: “We faced many challenges in identifying James as the suspect responsible for the burglaries.

“Ultimately it was the culmination of circumstantial evidence which convicted James of the offences.

“Due to the quantity of burglaries, DC Rebecca Brown was identified as the lead officer for Hampshire Constabulary and DC Jon Woolley for Sussex Police. “Becky and Jon deserve a special mention as they worked tirelessly over the 20-month investigation to secure justice for James’ victims.

“I would like to personally commend their dedication to the investigation.

DS Clacey added: “This was a very challenging investigation due to lack of forensic and direct evidence, the number of, and geographic distance between the offences.

“However today’s result shows how seriously the courts take burglaries like these, making this a very rewarding investigation to have worked on, as I’m confident James’ victims will be satisfied with the sentence he has been given.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.