Elderly woman treated after kitchen fire at Milland

SUS-140324-123506001
SUS-140324-123506001

AN 82 year old woman was treated for smoke inhalation after the cooker in her kitchen at Milland caught fire yesterday afternoon (Sunday, October 5).

Firefighters from Midhurst and Liphook were called to West Meade shortly before 4pm after neighbours raised the alarm.

Station manager Nigel Gamblen said: “There was a lot of smoke even coming out of first floor windows.”

The crews used breathing apparatus to tackle the fire and the woman, who was alone in the house at the time of the fire, was given oxygen therapy by West Sussex Fire and Rescue.

The woman was taken by ambulance to the Royal Surrey Hospital at Guildford where she was treated for smoke inhalation.

The damage was confined to the cooker in the kitchen and the cause of the fire was accidental.