Hotel guests evacuated at Midhurst

SUS-140324-123506001
SUS-140324-123506001

HOTEL guests at the Spread Eagle in Midhurst were evacuated last night (Sunday, November 30) when a chimney caught fire.

Staff were alerted by automatic fire alarms and ushered guests from the hotel.

Both Midhurst’s fire engines were there with another crew from Guildford.

Midhurst station manager Nigel Gamblen said: “We were able to allow everyone back into the hotel away from the chimney area. Because its a 15th century building with ancient chimney structure we couldn’t tackle the fire from the ground so we used an aerial ladder platform to fight it from the roof. No damaged was caused.”