Late night opening at Petworth restaurant to be given year’s trial

0
Have your say

A controversial plan to extend the opening time of a Petworth restaurant by one hour is to be given a one-year trial.

The application was made by Robert King, for The Leconfield restaurant in Petworth’s New Street, who said the current permitted hours of operation from 9am-10.30pm ‘have had and continue to have a serious impact on the ability of our client to operate his business effectively and meet the needs of his clients’.

In a report to members of Chichester District Council’s northern area development control committee, they were told the impact had been particularly evident in the run-up to Christmas, ‘our client having lost a number of bookings through the current restriction on opening hours’.

The restaurant wanted the extra hour of opening agreed before Christmas to enable it to benefit from the ‘much-needed boost in trade over the Christmas period’.

Members of the committee were told: “Without this boost our client has serious concerns for the viability of his business, especially as it moves into the traditionally-quiet new year period. Quite simply our client cannot afford to lose further bookings through his inability to offer opening hours on a par with other establishments in Petworth.”

Objectors said they would have to contend with, later at night, noise from doors slamming, noise from vehicles, and disturbance from people in the street.

For full story see Midhurst and Petworth Observer December 22