THE Petersfield to Midhurst Railway line was the first of three branch railway lines to connect Midhurst with mainline railways.
The line was opened on September 1, 1864 by the London and South Western Railway (LSWR).
Two years later, the London Brighton and South Coast (LBSCR) opened its line from Pulborough via Petworth.
And throughout September, Midhurst Museum will stage a celebration of the 150 years since the arrival of the first train to Midhurst, including memorabilia, artefacts and photographs of the railway stations and lines from Petersfield, Pulborough and Chichester, and a scale model of the first (L&SWR) railway station.
The Petersfield line had two intermediate stations on its route, Elsted and Rogate, and also had its own separate station at Midhurst.
In 1866 the London Brighton and South Coast (LBSCR) opened its line from Pulborough via Fittleworth, Petworth and Selham, then a line from Chichester which had stations at Lavant, Singleton and Cocking.