DCSIMG

Flood victims in the Midhurst and Petworth area warned of outdoor pump risk

editorial image

editorial image

MPS are warning flood victims not to use outdoor pumps and generators indoors after the death of a seven-year-old in Surrey.

The warning came as villagers across the Midhurst and Petworth area who were flooded out of their homes over Christmas, are bracing themselves for more heavy rain and strong winds this afternoon (Wednesday, February 12).

The all-party parliamentary carbon monoxide group (APPCOG) has urged safety and public awareness following the fatality in Chertsey after claims that outdoor, industrial pumps were used to clear a house of flood water.

Co-chairman Barry Sheerman MP said: “This tragedy reminds us carbon monoxide can strike from many sources: exhaust fumes can kill in minutes.

“The temptation to use powerful, industrial pumps to clear homes of flood water is entirely understandable.

“But people must know the dangers.”

A police investigation into the accident is still ongoing, but it is speculated the pumps gave off levels of carbon monoxide that proved fatal.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page