THE LINCH war memorial commemorating those who fell in the two world wars has itself been felled.
In the recent storms, a tree fell on the memorial and broke it in three pieces as well as moving the base.
The memorial has now been removed to repair and restore at an estimated cost of around £5,000, funds which have yet to be found as Linch has no parish council and no precept for this kind of expense.
John Pownall, who is heading the restoration, has applied to the War Memorial Trust, which is running a national project in this centenary year of the outbreak of the first world war to refurbish and make good memorials.
The small monument was erected in 1922 with an inscription saying ‘We of Linch dedicate this cross to the Glory of God’, and named the ten men who gave their lives.
The names are still familiar in the area such as West, Dudman, Mills, Lane and Blackwell. One more name was added after the second world war.
A statue of St George by Shaw stood in the niche in the cross for many years, but disappeared.
This century a new St George statue by internationally-renowned sculptor Philip Jackson, from Cocking, has been added which luckily was not damaged.
John Pownall hopes the repair will be completed by Remembrance Day in November.