A CHINESE takeaway in Petworth has been ordered to pay over £5,000 in fines and costs after failing to meet hygiene standards.
Goodwill House in Pound Street, was visited many times by Chichester District Council’s environmental health officers as a result of problems which remained unresolved.
During an inspection on December 19 last year they discovered a number of problems. Among them, there was a concern that cross contamination between food preparation surfaces could take place.
The officers also found the microwave was not clean with a build–up of waste food, that the kitchen hand washing basin was not clean and that dead flies had not been removed from an insect catcher.
Following a hearing last Wednesday, (August 13) at Worthing Magistrates Court, owner and manager, Mr Yuk Man Kan, and the company, Goodwill House Ltd were found guilty, and ordered to pay a total of £5,036.
Eileen Lintill, cabinet member for wellbeing at Chichester District Council, said: “Both the council and the court take a poor view of the failure to act upon food hygiene inspection reports. It is important that all businesses involved with the production and serving of food comply with food hygiene regulations in the interests of both the business and customers.
“I hope this sends a clear message that hygiene offences are taken seriously and that there will be serious repercussions for those found in breach of the law.”
Chichester District Council inspects any premises to which the public has access to buy food, and rates each one from one (low) to five (high) for hygiene standards. Any member of the public is able to view these results by going to the Food Standards Agency website www.ratings.food.gov.uk