Lucky escape for Midhurst woman who fell asleep while smoking

Firefighters helped to rescue and elderly couple from Porchester
Firefighters helped to rescue and elderly couple from Porchester
0
Have your say

AN elderly woman had a lucky escape when she fell asleep early this morning (Monday, November 2) while smoking at her home in Taylor’s Field, Midhurst.

She escaped with a small burn to her knee but West Sussex Fire and Rescue has re-iterated a warning of the need to be careful while smoking

A spokesman said: “Luckily this lady only had a small injury, however many fire deaths are caused by carelessness while smoking.

Among safety advice issued this morning a spokesman said: “Falling asleep with a lighted cigarette or pipe can cause a serious fire so make it a rule - never smoke in bed.

“Never empty ashtrays into the bin unless you are sure that they are fully extinguished.”

The alarm was raised shortly after midnight today.

A fire crew from Midhurst attended the scene.

They treated the woman for a small burn to her knee and she was left in the care of ambulance paramedics.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.midhurstandpetworth.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/MidhurstandPetworthObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @mid_pet_obs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Midhurst and Petworth Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.