Midhurst Chinese takeaway cooks up new plan

New plans for a Chinese takeaway in Midhurst's Bepton Road have been submitted to Chichester District Council.

Earlier this year more than 200 protesters signed a petition against the opening of the takeaway at Bepton House, which already had permission for change of use from offices to a restaurant.

Leading the protest campaign were Geoff and Lynn Oram, who live next door and said the takeaway would 'wreck our little bit of heaven'.

The plan submitted by Kate To, owner of the Chinese takeaway in Fernhurst, was later withdrawn.

Now Mrs To has resubmitted plans for the takeaway and an extension at the back of the property in Bepton Road.

Mrs To has also submitted photographs taken between 5pm and 11pm on several evenings which she says show there is adequate car paking throughout the evening and that traffic along Bepton road is quiet.

She told planners: "The result of my survey shows there is strong evidence there are enough parking spaces to support my takeaway service and my customers will not cause any traffic congestion nor cause a concern."

She said most customers would place their orders by phone and then pick up their food, making their parking short-stay.

Supporting the application, chartered builder Anthony Budd submitted a design and access statement in which he said: "Although the applicant has not formally involved any local group or bodies, there is, I believe a strong need in the area for a Chinese restaurant."

He said she already owned a Chinese takeaway in Fernhurst and many of her existing customers drove from the Midhurst area because of the

quality of the food. She proposed turning the first floor of the

building into living accommodation as she wished to be involved in the local community.

The existing ground floor was intended as the restaurant seating area and the extension would be the kitchen and toilet facilities. The first-floor extension would increase the living accommodation to 'an acceptable standard for a family'.

"The rear extension will not adversely impact on the neighbouring property and will still leave a substantial garden area for the use and enjoyment of the occupants of the first-floor accommodation."

The opening hours of the proposed takeaway would be midday to 2pm every day and 5pm to 10pm from Monday to Thursday, 5pm to 10.30pm on Friday and Saturday and 5pm to 10pm Sunday and bank holidays.

The plan is due to be debated by Midhurst town councillors later this month.

What do you think? Click here to send a letter or leave a comment below.

Click here to go back to Chichester news

Click here to go back to Bognor Regis news

Click here to go back to Midhurst and Petworth news

To tell us where in the world you are reading this story click on the link below to add yourself to our readers' map.

MAP