Midhurst firefighters warn people after ‘severe’ kitchen fire

Fire

Fire

0
Have your say

MIDHURST firefighters are warning residents after a fire caused devastating damage to a kitchen in Nyewood.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue received reports of a fire at a semi-detached house in Greenfields Close, Nyewood around 5.30pm on Monday (January 12).

Some 40 per cent of the kitchen was severely damaged by a fire caused by tea towels left to dry on rayburn stove.

The Midhurst crew used breathing apparatus, a hose reel and a fan to put out the fire. A spokesman for the fire service said: “Fires in the kitchen account for around two thirds of all house fires the service attends.

“We’d encourage people, where possible, to get into the habit of shutting their kitchen doors. If a fire does break out it can significantly slow its spread and limit the damage to the rest of the property.

“It’s really important to ensure hob tops are kept clear. Ideally, the power to the cooker should be switched off at the mains after use.”

The crew made the scene safe by 6.15pm.