Neighbour saves the day at Easebourne

editorial image
0
Have your say

QUICK thinking by a villager in Easebourne saved her next door neighbour from a major fire.

She heard a smoke alarm and on checking discovered smoke coming from her next door neighbour’s home in Hazelwood Close shortly before midday on Saturday (June 27).

The neighbour alerted the West Sussex Fire Service and firefighters from Midhurst and Petworth were quickly on the scene.

There was no-one home and fire crews discovered a chopping board smouldering on the cooker which had accidentally been left switched on.

Midhurst station officer Nigel Gamblen said: “Thanks to the neighbour hearing the alarm and checking it out she saved a small fire developing into a much bigger fire.”

He added: “This incident also demonstrates the value of having working smoke alarms in your home.

This one may well have averted a major fire.”