Petworth Hyde Martlet resident battles mould and damp in her home

The mould in Angela's property in Petworth, which is now being repaired and redecorated
The mould in Angela's property in Petworth, which is now being repaired and redecorated
  • Angela has lived in the property for seven years
  • Says damp and mould left her unable to turn lights on
  • Hyde Martlet now carrying out repairs

A HYDE Martlet resident has finally won a battle against damp and mould in her property.

Angela Lambert has lived in a Hyde property in Wyndham Road, Petworth, for seven years.

The mould in Angela's property in Petworth, which is now being repaired and redecorated

The mould in Angela's property in Petworth, which is now being repaired and redecorated

Exasperated by the damp and mould – which often left her unable to turn on the lights – she sought the help of Nick Herbert.

She said the problems had been ongoing for several years and the previous tenants had ‘warned’ her about the building.

Angela said: “This week I received a letter from Nick Herbert which stated quite clearly he raised concerns with Hyde Martlet himself.

“My daughter contacted Hyde Martlet, Mr Herbert and the press. Finally, Hyde is taking this seriously.

One of our surveyors visited the property on March 16 and following his report we are currently working to complete repairs to the roof to help address the damp conditions within the property

“But I am not happy with the response. I’m absolutely fuming, it states I haven’t been maintaining the property to their standard.

“The only time I put something on the radiators is when I have taken something off the washing line and need to air it out.

“The repairs are now ongoing, with the next one due on April 28. The ceilings are to be replaced and the following week they will be redecorating.

“Hopefully by the end of May this will all be sorted.”

James Shaw, director of property services at Hyde, said they would ‘continue to support Ms Lambert with advice to maintain conditions that discourage damp and mould’.

He added: “One of our surveyors visited the property on March 16 and following his report we are currently working to complete repairs to the roof to help address the damp conditions within the property.

“We will also repair the guttering, re-plaster as needed, apply a mould wash and redecorate. We would like to reassure Ms Lambert these repairs will be completed as swiftly as possible.

“However, damp and the growth of mould can be challenging as there are a number of things that can contribute to the situation.

“One major factor is inadequate ventilation within the home. To help prevent conditions which encourage mould, we advise residents to ensure good airflow within rooms, keep ‘trickle vents’ in the windows open at all times and open windows whenever possible as well as maintaining rooms at an even temperature. Also, residents should try to avoid drying clothes on radiators.”