Shottermill Ponds at Camelsdale could have become a tea room and a paddle boat pool if a certain Colonel Hume had not stepped in to save this attractive site.
He later donated it to the National Trust.
A plaque commemorating him, his gift and the later restoration of the ponds has recently been restored and an informal ceremony was held to mark the event.
When the Lythe Hill Estate and Oliver’s Mill (for which the ponds were feeder waters) were sold off, the ponds were about to be bought by a developer who wanted to build a tea room, turn the ponds into a paddle boat lake and Camelsdale recreation ground into a municipal swimming pool.
Col Hume, who had been a founder member of the Haslemere Preservation Society, galvanised the local community to raise the funds to prevent this and having done so presented the ponds to the National Trust which has looked after them ever since.
A wooden post with a National Trust sign and collecting box was erected to commemorate this event, and when it rotted, a brick kiln was erected.
A stone plaque recorded the restoration of the ponds in 1955 and this, with grants from Lynchmere Parish Council, the Blackdown and Hindhead Supporters of the National Trust, the Mabel Grant Trust, the Haslemere Society and the Lynchmere Society, is now itself restored.