Smoke alarm warning after ‘lucky escape’ from Milland fire

editorial image

A Milland family had a lucky escape when fire broke out in the airing cupboard in the early hours of Saturday (July 30) at their Borden Lane home.

They had fitted smoke alarms said officer in charge Matt Gamblen, but there were no batteries in them.

“They were very lucky because one of the children was awake, smelled the smoke and alerted the rest of the house,” he said. They all escaped unhurt, but a quarter of the first floor was damaged by heat and smoke and the air cupboard was destroyed.

“This incident highlights how crucial it is to have properly working alarms,” said Matt, “We fitted emergency alarms at the scene and have now also carried out a fire safety home check.”

The fire reported at 3am marked the debut of Midhurst Fire Station’s state-of-the-art fire fighting new 6x6. “I asked control to mobilise it,” said Matt, “because I knew there would be difficult access down the windy lanes and it gave us an additional crew. It did its job very well.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.midhurstandpetworth.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/MidhurstandPetworthObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @mid_pet_obs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Midhurst and Petworth Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.