Stedham villagers unveil new war memorial plaque

VILLAGERS gathered, today, (November 11) Armistice Day to unveil a new plaque at the Memorial Hall - the community building which was given to Stedham in 1947 in memory of those who died in the first and second world wars.

Chairman of the Memorial Hall committee Kat Justesen said: “On the centenary of the outbreak of the first world war we wanted to ensure the hall was remembered and why it was given to the village.

C141014-2 Mid Watersted  phot kate''Stedham resident John Hills, unveiling the plaque, with Emma Blumlein, and Vanessa Blaber.Picture by Kate Shemilt.C141014-2 SUS-141111-165044001

C141014-2 Mid Watersted phot kate''Stedham resident John Hills, unveiling the plaque, with Emma Blumlein, and Vanessa Blaber.Picture by Kate Shemilt.C141014-2 SUS-141111-165044001

“We felt we needed to do something to reaffirm the hall as a memorial.”

John Hills, a village stalwart and the man who takes care of the Memorial Hall grounds, unveiled the plaque outside which bears the names of all those from Stedham who died.

The ceremony was attended by the children of Stedham Primary School who had researched the history of relatives who had died for their country and planted crosses in their memory around the hall grounds.

Among them was ten year old Agnus Justesen who shared the war story of her step-father’s grandfather Johnnie Boden.

Also there was Eddie Lintott and his cousin Robert whose grandfather Horace is named on the plaque. Horace and his wife ran the village pub The Gnu, now a private house.

The plaque was blessed and dedicated on Remembrance Sunday by Stedham vicar the Rev Roger Williamson.