Mark Catlin has revealed there remains room in Guy Whittingham’s budget for more Pompey recruits.
The Blues have failed to win their opening three matches and are out of the Capital One Cup.
It has been no secret Whittingham is looking to strengthen defensively, with the left-back area presently under scrutiny.
Ricardo Rocha had previously been identified to add experience to the back line and his anticipated arrival was budgeted for.
Yet, with the deal having fallen through, Catlin insists the funds are still there for Whittingham to use and add more players to his small squad.
Pompey’s chief executive said: ‘Ricardo did not sign for us, so should Guy feel the need to strengthen we can do that.
‘There is still that little bit in there for Guy if it is required for new players.
‘It may be able to be used for two or three players, that depends on the targets.
‘I can say, though, there is still a little bit of headroom in the budget.
‘Guy is always looking to improve on his squad. He tells us that regularly, although says he is only joking!
‘But most good managers are looking to build on quality and he is not any different.
‘I know he wants to work on a settled squad, concentrating on permanent signings rather than loans. Plenty here are scarred from what has happened for years here and consistently changing the squad.
‘Still, Ricardo has not come so there is still a little bit of headroom in the budget should Guy feel the need to do so.’
The summer transfer window shuts at 11pm on September 2, although that does not affect free agents.