Hero Great War soldier who refused to surrender

Every man who pulled on a uniform and fought for King and country in the hellish battlefields of World War One deserved the title '˜hero'. Of the Chichester heroes, the actions of one man stood out.

Thursday, 10th March 2016, 4:52 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 6:31 pm
Christ's Hopsital The Great War exhibition. Lt Col. Wilfrith Elstob VC, DSO, MC died aged 29 SR1605098 SUS-160219-125936001

His name was Wilfrith Elstob and he died in Saint-Quentin, France, in 1918, as he refused to surrender a fort known as Manchester Hill, despite being vastly outnumbered. His bravery saw him posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross.

Wilfrith was born in Chichester on September 8 1888, the son of Church of England vicar John George Elstob and his wife Frances Alice. His father work at Chichester Cathedral when Wilfrith was born.

He was educated at Christ’s Hospital School between 1898 and 1905, where he was a member of Coleridge B House and played rugby for the 1st team. He also served in the school cadet corps and reached the rank of Lance Corporal.

Mike Barford (Hon Curator of the CH Museum) Christ's Hopsital The Great War exhibition. Mike's holding replica medals belonging to Lt Col. Wilfrith Elstob VC; DSO; MC Pic Steve Robards SR1605094 SUS-160219-125924001

He graduated from Manchester University in 1909 with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree. Wilfrith was a teacher when war was declared and volunteered for the Army, being commissioned into the Manchester Regiment on October 30 1914.

By 1915 he had reached the rank of Captain and became second in command of A Company under his old school friend Hubert Worthington. Early that November, they were sent to France. In July 1916, now in charge of D Company, Wilfrith led an attack on Trones Wood, during which he was wounded. His efforts saw him awarded the Military Cross on the New Year’s Day 1917 for his leadership.

The Museum of the Manchester Regiment recorded: “By the 1st August Wilfrith was second in command of the 16th Battalion with the rank of Temporary Major. During shelling around Le Barque on the 13th October the commanding officer was killed, so Wilfrith took his place as a Lieutenant Colonel.”

Wilfrith died on March 21 1918 as he fought to hold Manchester Hill. Records show he ordered his men to defend the position ‘to the last round and to the last man’. At one point he found himself holding a position alone and used grenades and his revolver to drive off the German attack. He kept fighting even when wounded and the records show he encouraged his men, telling them: “You are doing magnificently boys!” He was shot dead at 3.30pm and his men surrendered at 4pm.

Although he was commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial, Wilfrith has no known grave. His father received Wilfrith’s Victoria Cross from King George V at Buckingham Palace on July 24 1919. His citation included the line: “He set throughout the highest example of valour, determination, endurance and fine soldierly bearing.”

The museum at Christ’s Hospital School, Horsham, has an exhibition commemorating former pupils who served during the Great War, including Wilfrith.

Christ’s Hospital School museum is open on Tuesdays and most Thursdays by appointment only.

Call 01403 247444 for details.

Source: Museum of the Manchester Regiment

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.chichester.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ChichesterObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @Chiobserver

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Chichester Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.