Advice for West Sussex residents planning a royal celebration

With royal wedding bells due to ring at the end of April, West Sussex County Council is paving the way for residents to be able to join in the celebrations.

Street parties are a traditional way of marking such national events and to help organisers the county council has produced an online leaflet giving guidance on how to make the right arrangements.

It includes information on how permission for a street party has to be obtained from district or borough councils.

Some of the councils will also help organisers obtain the public liability insurance needed to stage a street party.

Lionel Barnard, county council deputy leader with responsibility for highways and transport, said: “The county council wants to ensure as many people as possible are able to have a good time and hold successful street parties.

“We will do all we can to help.

“Because public roads are involved we also will need to ensure safety guidelines are followed.”

Road closure signs can be borrowed from area highways offices.

Where traffic diversions are necessary the county council will help with the positioning of signs and barriers to make the road safe for the party.

The earlier the county council knows about a party the easier it is to make plans such as avoiding roadworks in the area.

Cabinet member for environment and economy Deborah Urquhart said: “There’s still time to organise an event but we would ask people to give at least four to six weeks notice to allow time for proper arrangements to be made.

“I hope lots of people in West Sussex will choose to mark the occasion by holding a street party.”

To find out more on how to plan a street party visit the county council’s website at and search ‘Highway Licences’.