A FURIOUS Fernhurst villager has accused Chichester District Council of ‘arrogance and incompetence’ after he claims his pleas for action over a breach of planning permission were ignored.
Dr Shaun Kilminster, a clinical pharmacologist, said he fought for ten months after discovering a new house being built next to his Midhurst Road home was a foot too wide either side.
He made repeated requests to meet CDC’s chief executive and head of planning, but was ignored.
And he was outraged to discover a retrospective planning application to ‘regularise’ the planning breaches went before district councillors, last Wednesday.
But a spokesman for Chichester District Council said a decision had been deferred after admitting residents were not told of the meeting.
“The application was considered by the planning committee on November 11. The report included representations made by residents. Unfortunately, we did not inform the parish council, interested parties and residents in advance of this meeting and we would like to apologise for this. However, we are aware ward members did email all relevant parties.”
“We want to assure residents no decision has been issued and the item has been deferred to the next planning meeting on December 9 to enable all interested parties to attend and speak if they wish. We are in the process of contacting all these groups to make them aware of the situation.”
But Dr Kilminster claims his concerns were repeatedly ignored by the council.
“As council tax payers we expect courtesy, but the arrogance of Chichester District Council is phenomenal”.
“I am in a position where I hold regular discussions with generals, admirals and permanent under secretaries and I have never come across such arrogance in public life.”
He added: “It’s a sad state of affairs when we pay high taxes thinking people in the council office are doing their jobs, but they don’t do anything at all.”
Dr Kilminster is now complaining to the Ombudsman and the government’s planning minister.
Ten months ago he discovered planning discrepancies at the former Fuel Care site next to his home where planning permission had been given for four new houses. He checked the plans and then contacted planners at CDC.
“I heard nothing and contacted the South Downs National Park where an officer told me there was a breach of planning permission and CDC would deal with it.”
“I made three requests to meet the chief executive and three to see the head of planning. I was completely ignored by them all. I am very concerned about their gross incompetence and lack of courtesy, they seem to feel they can do whatever they like.”
The CDC spokesman said concerns were received about the possible breach in April.
“The residents who had contacted us were kept fully informed of the enforcement investigation.”
It was not considered expedient to take formal enforcement action, said the spokesman and the developer was invited to submit a plan to address the minor changes identified.
“The residents were informed of this and invited to make representations, which they submitted and which were included in the final report.
”Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.midhurstandpetworth.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/MidhurstandPetworthObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @mid_pet_obs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Midhurst and Petworth Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.