Boxing Day house fire which killed West Chiltington couple started by wood burning stove
An elderly West Chiltington couple died in a house fire which started in a wood burning stove, an inquest heard.
Farmer Francis William Dougharty and farmer’s wife Madeleine Patricia Dougharty died on Boxing Day 2020, after the blaze took hold, assistant coroner Bridget Dolan QC heard.
Mr Dougharty, 90, was unable to escape the house before succumbing to fatal smoke inhalation, the record of inquest shows. Mrs Dougharty, 85, died of fatal smoke inhalation and burns.
Their deaths, at Cattlestone Farm, Harbolets Road, were recorded as accidental by the assistant coroner.