Children at a Chichester primary school have been evacuated and sent home for the day after a suspected gas leak.
Portfield Primary Academy, in St. James Road, is currently empty as gas engineers investigate.
A spokeswoman from the school confirmed the possible leak had been discovered in the school’s boiler room this morning (Friday, January 8), and that they would almost certainly reopen on Monday.
“The gas people were here within 20 minutes of us calling them,” she said.
“Before they got here they told us to evacuate the school so the children have all gone home.
“It’s all in hand and I have been told the school will reopen on Monday.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.chichester.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ChichesterObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Chiobserver
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Chichester Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.