Close knit Midhurst community still in shock after fatal accident


THE close knit community of Midhurst is still in shock today (Thursday July 10) after the horrific accident in the centre of the town yesterday when a 79 year old Midhurst woman was killed.

Many stunned townspeople have taken to Facebook and Twitter to extend their sympathy and sadness to the family of the woman, who has not yet been named.

They have said it will take the town a long time to recover the horror of yesterday’s accident.

The Rev Dave Willis opened Midhurst Parish Church yesterday afternoon and remained there into the evening to talk to those who had been affected.

People joined him to pray for the woman who died and for her family and to light candles.

She had been struck by a lorry and dragged 50 yards along the road in front of screaming shoppers just after 11.10am yesterday.

This comment posted on the Observer Facebook page is one of dozens of messages of sympathy which are going out: “The accident in Midhurst was a terrible tragedy for all involved, my thoughts are with the lady and her family and everyone who was affected by it.”

Townspeople have been praised for their support and staff at Midhurst Rother College have been thanked for their sensitivity.

“I wanted to say how brilliant everyone has been in the town since it happened and how reassured and impressed I was at how the Midhurst Rother College have dealt with the news. They have kept us updated and have accompanied the local students to their homes, they have shown a great respect for the incident as well as great common sense and I highly commend them for that.”

Among the many messages of sadness for the victim and sympathy for her family a Midhurst mother wrote:

“I have known her for years and am extremely sad for her. And for all the poor witnesses. I only hope it was quick. She was a lovely lady, really sweet and caring and always stopped to ask how myself and the boys were. She will be very sadly missed.”

The main road through the town was eventually reopened after 7pm last night after police had carried out a thorough examination of the accident scene.