AFTER last month’s shock announcement, there is finally a slice of good news for the Cowdray Ruins.
Easebourne’s prime visitor attraction has scaled down its operations and has reduced it’s opening hours after suffering ‘unsustainable losses’, somewhere in the region of £50,000.
However, the Cowdray Estate has announced the ruins will be opened between Saturday, June 1 and Sunday. September 1 this year.
The ruins will only be open at weekends, between midday and 4pm, with the last entries at 3pm.
The whole site will be open as usual and many of the volunteers who used to work at the ruins will return.
A spokeswoman for the Cowdray Estate said: “We are very pleased to be able to open for this amount of time, and are looking forward to welcoming our lovely group of volunteers back to Cowdray.
“Some of them have moved on to other ventures, but many are pleased with the news and are looking forward to continuing their work.”
Last month, Robert Windle, Lord Cowdray’s agent and Cowdray Estate nominated trustee, said: “We have got to be very positive about the future and make sure it works for the benefit of the local community.”
Councillors at a Midhurst Town Council meeting on Monday welcomed the news. Cllr Lintott said she was ‘pleased’ the estate had reached the arrangement and was able to open its doors to the public.
The ruins will be closed on Sunday, July 21, as the Gold Cup Final will be taking place in the grounds of the Cowdray Estate.