Teenager 'planned to rob drug dealer on the night he died'

A teenager who was stabbed to death in Chichester had been planning to rob a drug dealer at knife point, a court has heard.

Thursday, 11th August 2016, 12:20 pm
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 1:32 am
Luke Jeffrey died at Southampton General Hospital on the morning of March 12, the day after being fatally wounded.

Luke Jeffrey, 18, from Bognor Regis, died as a result of a single stab wound to the shoulder on March 11.

Samuel Morgan, 19, of Adelaide Road, Chichester, denies murder.

During a trial at Hove Crown Court on Wednesday, the jury was shown a CCTV image of Mr Jeffrey at his accommodation at the Chichester Foyer shortly before his death.

Samuel Morgan, 19, pictured at an earlier hearing, denies murder. Picture by Eddie Mitchell

Alan Kent QC, defending, suggested the image showed Mr Jeffrey was carrying a knife, and had planned to use it to rob Morgan, who he had arranged to buy drugs from him.

Witness Mark Bullen, who accompanied Mr Jeffrey with another friend to collect the drugs, said he had no knowledge of Mr Jeffrey carrying a knife, or planning to rob Morgan.

Mr Kent asked: "Police received information...good intelligence prior to leaving the Chichester Foyer that Luke and others planned to rob some others at knife point. Is that true?

"No", Mr Bullen replied.

Mr Kent said: "Police intelligence said that this group had a knife before leaving.

"I was unaware of this," Mr Bullen said.

After the image of of Jeffrey was shown in court, Mr Kent asked Mr Bullen: "He looks to be carrying something, is that a knife?"

Mr Bullen replied: "I couldn't tell you exactly but it does look like a knife. I was with him but I didn't know he was carrying."

Mr Kent asked: "Was it in fact a plan for you and others to rob the dealer?"

"What me and Andre were told was we were going with Luke just to pick up MDMA," Mr Bullen replied.

Earlier Mr Bullen had described seeing Morgan punch and then 'make a stabbing motion' towards Mr Jeffrey as he was fighting with another man following an argument over money.

Mr Bullen told the court he heard Morgan shout 'I don't care how big you are, I can always cut you down to size'.

Mr Bullen said Morgan then fled and Mr Jeffrey, whose top was 'filled with blood', tried to chase after him before collapsing in the street.

The trial continues.