West Sussex Fire and Rescue service was called to a fire in a flat in Bepton Road in the early hours of this morning.
There were initial fears people were trapped in the building, but they had managed to escape by the time fire crews arrive at around 4.20am.
The blaze, which was thought to be accidental, destroyed thew kitchen entirely, and most of the flat has been damaged by the fire.
The building was a two storey building, with a flat above the shop.
Fire crews left nearly an hour and a half after arrival.
No one was seriously injured in the blaze.