Firefighters have tackled more chimney fires in Chichester and Midhurst than any other part of the county in the past year.
The West Sussex Fire and Rescue service was called to 21 Midhurst fires and 13 in Petworth between April 1, 2014, and March 31, 2015.
The service was also called to 17 Chichester fires and 15 in Billingshurst in the same period – compared with just one in Littlehampton.
Firefighters are now reminding people of the danger that could be lurking inside their chimneys and urging them to have them professionally swept.
Jackie Boyle, community fire safety manager for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Chimneys that have not been used during the spring and summer months could become blocked or unsafe and people certainly shouldn’t be complacent about the risk.
“Chimney fires are one of the most commonly occurring incidents that our crews attend.
“Don’t let getting your chimney swept be one of those jobs you leave until it’s too late.
“The cost of a professional sweep is certainly a lot less than being left to count the cost of a fire in your home or business.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.midhurstandpetworth.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/MidhurstandPetworthObserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @mid_pet_obs
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Midhurst and Petworth Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.