Marking 100 years of The Royal British Legion in Midhurst
The Royal British Legion was formed on May 15, 1921, bringing together the four national organisations that had established themselves to support those who had suffered as a result of service during the First World War.
The Midhurst Branch was founded on July 16 of the same year and is still going strong today.
On Saturday (May 15), members of the Midhurst & District Branch gathered at the war memorial for a short, socially-distanced ceremony to mark the anniversary.
The branch president and chairman, Michael Mates and Brigadier Arthur Douglas-Nugent, laid a wreath and read the Kohima Epitaph, supported by the vicar of Midhurst, the Reverend David Willis.
The Royal British Legion provides financial, social and emotional care and support to all members of the British Armed Forces – past and present and their families. The Legion is also the national Custodian of Remembrance and safeguards the Military Covenant between the nation and its Armed Forces and is best known for the annual Poppy Appeal and its emblem the red poppy.
Find out more about the Midhurst & District Branch and how to get involved at: branches.britishlegion.org.uk/branches/midhurst-district