Renewed calls for safety measures after A286 crash at Midhurst ‘black spot’

The A286 near the scene of a fatal collision in February
The A286 near the scene of a fatal collision in February
  • There have been two serious accidents on the stretch of road in the last 16 months
  • Residents want the 40 mph limit extended and an overtaking ban
  • They have been told by the highways authority the road is safe

There have been renewed calls for safety measures after an accident at a ‘blackspot’ on the A286 outside Midhurst.

A car leaving the Royal Oak pub was in collision with another travelling south towards Chichester at 7.45pm last night (Tuesday, May 12).

One of the drivers received minor facial injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment.

Residents in the area have made persistent calls for safety measures along the stretch of road after a series of accidents.

These were renewed in February when a 60 year old man, walking his dogs, was killed after being struck by a car.

Yesterday Julian Mr Swan, landlord of the Royal Oak said: “This is a dangerous stretch of road. It would be a positive move if some form of traffic calming measure such as a speed camera could be installed.”

Chairman of the Southlands Park Residents Association Nigel Goodenough added: “This is yet another accident on what we regard as an accident black spot.

“We have been worried about the safety of this stretch of the A286 for years – and have made several approaches to the Highway Authority to ask for the 40mph speed limit to be extended beyond the Royal Oak and to ask for an overtaking ban. The reply has always been that because there have been no serious accidents the road is in their view ‘safe’. Before last night’s accident there had been two very serious accidents within 16 months of each other so we hope there will now be some action.”