TRAFFIC was brought to a standstill in the centre of Midhurst this evening (Thursday July 2) when a van caught fire.
Midhurst firefighters were quickly on the scene to deal with the small fire which was caused when the van’s brakes overheated.
Crew manager Ivan Glue said: “It was being towed by a tractor when the brake pads inside the drums caught fire.”
The tractor managed to get the van onto the verge beside the road near the entrance to Midhurst Rother College where firefighters dealt with the fire.
The incident happened shortly before 5pm and traffic is now moving again.”