LETTERS: 20 IS plenty

I would like to congratulate Mr Ever, whose letter gives an example of a five-mile journey on roads where the new limit applies.

I was puzzled to think what kind of journey this might be.

To cross the city from any direction is substantially less than five miles and to the best of my knowledge, the new limit only applies to roads which are largely residential and not to main thoroughfares.

If he chooses to make his journeys by residential routes, he could perhaps (if he drove around in circles) find five miles of 20 mph limits.

It is easy to avoid the new limits in all but the beginnings and or ends of journeys in Chichester, and whiz through the town at 30. Oh sorry, I forgot the three level crossings, the numerous traffic lights, some

of which can be operated by

non-trained pedestrians and the many roundabouts which I presume the clever Mr Ever approaches and negotiates without slowing down.

Speeding is a problem and the point of a 20mph limit is to minimise damage to people.

The Transport and Road Research figures are the basis of the 80/20 statistic. That is: at under 30mph, a person hit by a vehicle has an 80 per cent chance of survival. But at over 30mph this drops to 20 per cent.

This is for a normal healthy individual.

The risk to the elderly or infirm is far greater. Against this bleak scenario, another five minutes on a journey seems a small price to pay.

If Mr Ever is serious about slowing the speeding traffic through his street, perhaps he should be instigating some positive action on behalf of himself and his neighbours rather than finding fault with the public-spirited campaigners who have given up so much time and energy to make Chichester a better place to live in.

Alan Carn

Whyke Road