Thanks to workers

ON MONDAY, January 16, there was a small explosion in a connection box on a telegraph pole in Charlton which carried both electricity and telephone cables to a number of houses in the village.

This resulted in a small fire and the loss of all power and phone/broadband cover for these houses on probably the coldest day of the winter thus far.

The fire brigade attended and dealt with the fire promptly.

Scottish and Southern Electricity engineers arrived in the early evening; faced with a considerable task to make the system safe, install a new connection box and replace a length of cable, they worked in the cold until after 1am to successfully reconnect supply.

The following morning BT engineers arrived in force to restore ‘phone coverage – again no easy task due to the fire – which was achieved during the afternoon.

Our utility companies do not always receive the best press. But on this occasion at least, their staff deserve every credit for their quick and efficient response.

The village is very grateful!

IGC Farman