Barnham lads are anything but blue after tournament triumph

editorial image

Barnhan Trojans under-11 Blues entered two teams into the PCA under-11 five-a-side festival at the Ford Indoor Football Arena – and both tasted major success.

The festival consisted of every team playing six group games followed by two knockout matches.

Both Barnham teams were a credit to themselves and their club, playing some fantastic football and scoring goals galore – with both topping their groups. This meant they avoided playing each other in the semi-finals.

The semis were both close. Barnham’s Blue team securing their final spot with a well earned 3-2 victory over an impressive Rustington Otters team.

The Red team looked like clinching their final place after moving into a 3-0 lead, but opponents Felpham fought back to make it 3-3, forcing the dreaded penalty shootout. Felpham made the final by scoring all their penalties.

The final was an open attacking game, with the Blue team securing a well-deserved 6-5 victory over Felpham and maintaining their impressive 100 per cent record.

The boys really enjoyed the event and thanked Mark Beauchamp of PFCA for organising a fantastic under-11 five-a-side festival at the superb Ford arena.

Barnham Trojans U11 Blue (Blue): Ryan Cook, Adam Ursell, Ed Kennet, Alfie Davidson, Olly Shergold, Olly Hassell. Red: Jack Saunders, Bradley Higgins Pearce, James Perry, Harry Daniels, Nick North, Tom Clarke.

Send your youth team reports - and cup-final and championship winner pictures - to


Chi City Colts 0 Felpham Colts 3

With a win guaranteeing promotion, Felpham went into this match full of confidence.

From the start they attacked and were unlucky when a Harry Geall header flew just wide. Luke Hubbard was getting into his stride but was unable to get the opening goal.

Chichester posed a few problems for the defence but man-of-the-match Sam Blunt and Fraser Partridge were outstanding and stopped everything.

The opening goal arrived after 15 minutes when, after a goalmouth scramble, the ball fell to captain Lewis Walker, who smashed home a long-range shot. The second arrived when an excellent pass from Cian Markie split the defence open for Hubbard to round the keeper and slot home.

The second half started with Felpham attacking at every opportunity and only the great efforts of the Chichester keeper kept the score down. The third came when a Rhys Nicholas cross was knocked back for Luke Dent to slide home.

Oliver Payne came on and won every tackle in defence.

At the final whistle the joy of promotion showed on the team’s faces. It’s been an amazing team performance that every player should be proud of. Next stop is their cup final in April at Arundel FC.

FELPHAM: Cogger, Partridge, Blunt, Walker, Hubbard, Dent, Nicholas, Geall, Markie, Payne.


Predators 10 Worthing Town 1

Predators – still on a high from last week’s massive victory – took control as a rebound saw Josling open the scoring.

That was soon followed by a great through-ball by Farndell for Josling to hit his second.

Josling was unlucky not to hit his hat-trick when a shot hit the bar. Davies set up Irish, who chipped the keeper for his first and doubled his tally to make it 4-0 at half-time.

Predators came out for the second half raring to go and it wasn’t long before Davies found the roof of the net, soon followed by his second.

Josling completed his hat-trick but Worthing fought back with Predators keeper Williams being tested.

Davies converted a penalty for his hat-trick. Josling again found the net but a burst through by Worthing resulted in a consolation.

Birch put Predators in double figures for the second week running. Man of the match was Jukes.

PREDATORS: Josling, Birch, Williams, Jukes, Cook, Furlong, Bosco-Brown, Davies, Farndell, Rodway, Hillier, Irish.

Midhurst & Easebourne 26

Highdown Saints Colts 0

Midhurst had nothing but admiration and respect for Highdown’s players to turn up for their last game of the season after their 24-0 loss to Predators a week earlier.

They tried hard but Midhurst were 16-0 up at half-time.

After the break Midhurst continued to make changes to their team with players, including the keeper, playing out of position to give all a chance of scoring.

Despite Highdown’s best efforts the whole team did score.

Top Midhurst scorer Jake Burtoo netted five and defender Aidan Largan, who had gone ten long seasons without a goal, was celebrating scoring a hat trick.

MIDHURST: Collins-Powell, Cain, Thompson, Wysocki, Largan, Field-Millard, Murphy, Warren, Burtoo, Wakeham, Greet, Papaj.


Lancing Rangers 2 Pagham Youth 2

This was another combative performance against Pagham’s bogey side.

Pagham once again made Lancing scrap all the way for their point. Pagham started brightly and played the more entertaining football, restricting Lancing to the long ball.

Despite dominating, Pagham went in 2-0 down at half-time as Lancing scored from a wayward-looking cross and from a long ball that caught the defence flat-footed.

Pagham attacked Lancing from the start of the second half and from a corner, Luke Vincent pulled one back following a poor clearance.

Eventually Pagham’s patience told as Jack Barnes latched on to Curtis Poole’s free-kick to shoot past the diving Lancing keeper. Pagham pressed for the winner with Lancing defending frantically before a brilliant reflex save from Ryan Carter prevented Lancing stealing the points.

PAGHAM: Carter, W Richardson, C Richardson, Gosbee, Hurford, Poole, Game, Lane, Taunton, Barnes, Wood, Vincent, Strachan.


Worthing Town 0 Chichester City 6

City totally dominated the first half but ended it only one goal to the good after a neat through-ball for Zac Moy to turn past the keeper. Worthing’s only effort of the game was tipped over the bar by Christy Carter.

The second half was all City. Moy doubled the lead, picking up the ball on halfway to power through the defence and slot past the keeper. Collins Alfred got on the scoresheet with a strong run into the box to smash the ball in and two more followed from Moy.

The pick of them was a great team goal started by Dan Macdonald winning the ball at the back, passing out to Harry Yeo on the wing. He flicked on to Alfred to cross in for Moy’s clinical finish.

James Amos inished the scoring with a solo effort, running across the Worthing backline to strike a shot past the keeper.

CHICHESTER: C Carter, H Yeo, D Macdonald, J Amos,

W Hutchings, C East, A Shaw, C Alfred, S Culver, P Turner, Z Moy.