Bognor are three-quarters of way to £30k target in five days
The Rocks’ bid to raise £30,000 to help the club through a challenging few months could hardly be going better.
Just five days - 120 hours - after the launch they had passed the £22.5k mark, meaning they are now more than three-quarters of the way to their target.
Bognor chiefs need the sum to make sure they can afford major ground improvements set to go ahead at a time when they are coping with a complete loss of income.
With planning permission in place for a new 367-seat main stand, a permanent covering behind the goal at the Seasons end of Nyewood Lane, and new toilets, floodlights and a sound system, the Rocks say they are delighted by the speed at which fans and other backers are pledging funds.
The crowdfunder page was launched at midday on Monday and on Saturday afternoon, the total was heading towards £23k with 128 donors contributing.
Ten ten-year season tickets have been sold at £1,250 apiece and a £500 package to be a media partner has also been snapped up.
Meanwhile many have each donated £50 to have their name included in a ‘wall of fame’ in the new stand and signing up to have their names woven into the team’s 2020-21 shirts.
Other ‘rewards’ remain up for grabs, with £2,500 buying someone the chance to put a team together to play against the Rocks in a pre-season friendly. Bognor coach Robbie Blake, who has played for Burnley, Bradford, Leeds and other top clubs, is available to play for the fans’ team and even manage them against the Rocks’ first team.
Also still available are £3,000 packages to sponsor the west or north stands, while £15,000 will allow ground-naming rights for two years, plus more of the ten-year season tickets.
Click here to go to the donation pageManager Jack Pearce said: “I’m delighted with the amount raised so far and we thank everyone who has donated. But we do need many more people in the town to get involved in their club. We need to keep up the momentum.”
The club have produced a crowdfunder page and short video to promote their fundraising attempts, which come amid a shutdown which has seen them losing revenue from numerous home matches at the end of last season plus from other events in the Seasons clubhouse.
Uncertainty over the start of next season remains, with an August start looking unlikely.
Their message to potential backers on the crowdfunder page says: “You are our Rocks! You, the fans, are the very reason we are who we are. Through you, we are one. Since 1883 we have proudly represented our town, our county, and our supporters.
“Now, in these exceptionally challenging times, we need to try to generate funding to not only look to progress but to hold what we have. We’re not sure when football will resume at our level after the Covid-19 pandemic wiped out the season, but we do know we want to be as prepared as we can be for that very special day, as well as for the football that follows.
“On the pitch manager Jack Pearce and coach Robbie Blake are confident we can resume action with the nucleus of players we finished with when the Isthmian League premier division was scrapped as the coronavirus crisis struck.
“The club’s 27 junior teams are just as anxious for a resumption of play and the community as a whole, as well as our charity partners, are all eager to embrace football back at Nyewood Lane as and when it is safe to do so.
“Off the pitch, we are closing in on a construction start date after unveiling an ambitious blueprint to modernise the ground. A new 367-seat grandstand, seeing our current main stand replaced. is the biggest improvement along with a new covered area behind the goal at the Seasons as well as new floodlights; a new PA system and a new toilet block.
“To unify and stimulate our fundraising efforts we have now teamed up with Crowdfunder and after liaising with their team we have put together a range of offers to try to give something in return for your invaluable support. Please check out our “one to eleven” line-up and if you are able to dig deep please do make a pledge. Up the Rocks!”