Bosham and Lavant are sunk in the Simmonds

There are wins for Hunston CC, Chapel and Petworth Reserves, but defeats for Bosham and Lavant, in our latest West Sussex League reports.

Hunston CC 2 Bosham 1

Malcolm Simmonds Cup

Bosham crashed out of another cup, with Hunston Community Club the beneficiaries of a misfiring performance from the Reds in which Josh Rehill saw red.

The Robins started brightly, with Rehill and James Bracher causing problems.

The pressure told after only three minutes when a corner from Graeme Dowden was flicked on by Nick Edgington and Ben Blanshard headed home to put the Reds in front. But the joy was relatively shortlived as the yellow and blacks drew level a short time later - Leeroy Sweeny brought them level with a fine finish, leaving Bosham keeper Simon Hasted with no chance.

Hunston grew in confidence but the Reds defence held firm and Edgington produced several searing runs and had two good efforts on goal to test keeper Karl Newton.

Bracher had an excellent chance to restore the lead but, in rounding Newton, lost possession.

Dowden saw a free-kick go just over the bar before Dean Ayling was forced off with a leg injury.

Soon after, Hunston took advantage of the by-now lacklustre Reds to go ahead. Dave Walton was in the right place at the right time to head past Hasted.

The hosts had a big bonus early in the second half when Rehill was shown red for a moment of madness.

This seemed to galvanise the Reds, who tried to find a route to goal with Dowden, Bracher and substitute James Johnson all going close.

BOSHAM: Hasted, Jack Hancock, Redman, Docherty, Edgington, Blanshard, Bracher, Wilson, Ayling, Rehill, Dowden. Subs: Moore, Johnson.


Ockley 3 Lavant 0

Malcolm Simmonds Cup

Lavant were knocked out of the cup by high-flying division-one side Ockley.

From the outset it was obvious Lavant were in for a tough afternoon on a pitch that resembled a ploughed field and because of the physical nature of the Ockley starting 11.

Despite this, the first half was relatively even with chances few and far between - and with half-time looming, Ockley broke the deadlock. Good play by the Ockley wide man on the right saw him switch the ball to the opposite flank and, despite a strong block by debutant Richards, the ball ran kindly for the Ockley forward to slot past Sanson.

Lavant were confident there was every chance of getting back into it. However, old habits die hard and Lavant were two down a minute after the restart. Ockley won the ball back and broke with numbers and purpose and got their reward with a simple finish.

Ten minutes later, Lavant were forced into a change for the injured Brooks during an Ockley corner and with his replacement Maclean ordered back off the field by the referee because of the colour of an undergarment, the unmarked Ockley player was left free to fire home from 18 yards.

The remainder of the second half was flat and little fight put up by Lavant, leaving a long journey home to revert their focus back to the league next week.

LAVANT: Sanson, Haslam, Richards, Wright, Lyttle, Knight, Humphreys, Brooks, Neville, Cieszynski, Sandford. Subs: Holmes, Maclean.

Chapel 6 Petworth Res 2

Division five central

Matches between Chapel and Petworth are normally lively and this one didn’t disappoint.

Aaron Carver put Chapel ahead after two minutes and Chapel were on top until Dave Torode, one of a number of ex-Chapel players facing them, equalised for Petworth.

This put heart into the away side and they enjoyed their best period of the game, but just before half-time, Ben Mariner put Chapel back in front.

The second half began in the same manner as the first when after two minutes Carver added his second.

Man of the Match Jordan Warren made it 4-1 before Matt Foster blocked a Petworth shot only for it to fly past his own keeper. Petworth pushed forward hoping to get something from the game but late goals from Mariner and Warren put the result beyond doubt.

Petworth Reserves 1 Horsham Ambassadors & Baptists Res 0

Division 5 Cup

Petworth won a hard-fought game 1-0 and progressed to the quarter-finals.

Aaron Evans scored the winner from the edge of the area, shooting into the top corner.

Horsham forced the Petworth keeper James Pratt into a fine save, and a follow-up shot was cleared off the line by James Hodd.

The midfield was controlled by man of the match Darren Hodd.