Chichester lads are pride of Lions in international tournament

On an extraordinarily wet evening at Oaklands Way, more than 100 spectators attended the International Lions Club Cup first round match between the representatives of the Lions clubs of Chichester and Guildford.

Friday, 5th November 2010, 1:42 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 7:00 pm

Chichester City Youth and Meadowsport Boys had been asked to represent their cities and both teams enjoyed the invitation to use the Chichester City FC facilities.

In atrocious weather, both teams had to adjust to the conditions – something Guildford did more readily as they took a 4-0 lead into half-time.

To Chichester’s credit, they persevered and a consolation goal would have been an appropriate reward for their determination and never-say-die endeavour.

It was not to be, however, and Guildford progressed to the next round when they will entertain Littlehampton Lions Club.

Both teams enjoyed the post-match Lions Club hospitality in the Oaklands Park clubhouse.

Chichester manager Andy Wild said: “It was a huge compliment to be asked to represent the Chichester Lions Club in such a prestigious competition. The boys have really enjoyed the occasion.

“They feel very proud to have represented their city and to have played in front of one of the biggest crowds seen at Oaklands this season. On their behalf I’d like to thank everyone who made this such a memorable evening.”


Bognor Regis Town Colts 3 Summerley Park Rangers 7

Summerley progressed to the semi-final of the Challenge Cup with probably their best-ever performance to beat holders Bognor Colts 7-3.

A goal-line clearance from Summerley on 20 minutes from a Bognor corner seemed to spur on Summerley and shortly afterwards, Rafferty converted a through-ball from Millard.

Three minutes later, Summerley were awarded a free-kick just outside their own area. Worsley stepped up and struck the ball nearly the length of the pitch straight into the Bognor goal.

Mepham scored two more for Summerley, who were playing superb counter-attacking football with good work from Tilley-Griffin on the right.

Bognor came out for the second half determined to get back into it and after ten minutes got one back through Horncastle.

Rafferty and V Smith scored for Summerley and there were two more for Bognor, making it 6-3.

Summerley keeper Sargeant was equal to any shots at goal Bognor managed. Summerley midfielders Kilhams, Millard and Hayes contained any further threat from Horncastle.

Five minutes from the end Worlsley fired in another free kick, this time from just inside the halfway line.

Summerley now face league leaders Highdown Saints A in the semi-final.

SUMMERLEY: Sargeant, Terry, Worlsley, Yates, Kilhams, Millard, Raffety, Tilley-Griffin, Hayes, Mepham, Hand, V Smith, Farndell, B Smith.

Barnham Trojans 1 Felpham Colts 6

This Invitation Cup tie was a clash between Felpham, second in the A division, and Barnham, struggling in the B.

Felpham opened the scoring with a well-placed shot but Dean Wadey equalised with a low shot after Felpham failed to clear their lines.

Barnham’s Callum Moss pulled off a series of great saves but Felpham scored a second.

Felpham get their third with an unstoppable long-range effort. An excellent solo run saw a Felpham player drill the ball past Moss for the fourth.

Their fifth came from a long-range shot which left Moss unsighted. Barnham never conceded and threatened the Felpham goal a number of times but weren’t rewarded.

Felpham ended the game with a sixth shortly before full-time.

BARNHAM: Moss, Perkins, Ormiston, Richards, James, Baker, Wadey, Pearson, Owers, Foster, Curtis. Sub: Faulkner.

Pagham Youth 2 Whyke Youth 1

This first-round Invitation Cup match saw Pagham start the strongest and on ten minutes Cleall beat three players to cross for Knight to finish in the bottom corner.

Whyke hit back and forced Hambidge into action with some good saves.

In the second half, Whyke came out the stronger but Pagham looked like hanging on to the lead.

But ten minutes from the end, Whyke scored with a low shot just creeping into the net.

With extra time looming, Lane set up Urbanczyk to power in a rasping low drive from 25 yards.

Pagham’s man of the match was Jack Lane.

PAGHAM: Hambidge, Lane, Rodway, Paul, Oliver, Baker, Misslebrook, Cleall, Conlon, Knight, Urbanczyk, Campbell.

Lancing 5 Predators 3

In the Invitation Cup, Predators had a disaster of a first half and went three down.

Manager Purvis got the players to settle, made a couple of changes and Predators came more into the game against the B league team.

In the second half, goals from Jolyon Hillier, Louis Josling and Tommy Stubbs made a fight of it, Hillier hitting his second penalty in a row.

But Predators seemed to run out of legs and Lancing managed another two late on.

PREDATORS: Vinesome, Williams, Keets, Harding, Spindler, Blackman, Lawes, Bosco-Brown, Hillier, Burton, Furlong, Stubbs.


Pagham Youth 10 Wick Dynamos 1

Pagham moved up to third in the league with this convincing win but they wasted numerous chances before they eventually scored when Curtis Poole struck home.

Wick equalised not long after but Luke Vincent restored Pagham’s lead. Davi Guimaraes made it 3-1 just before the break with a fine individual effort.

After the break Pagham were too strong for Wick and the goals flowed. Vincent and Poole went on to complete hat-tricks before Karl Matthews scored with a diving header.

Joel Lane got a rare goal with a shot from long distance before Charlie McLinden rounded off the scoring in the final couple of minutes.

PAGHAM: Carter, Lane, Gosbee, Southerton, Strachan, Palmer, Poole, Guimaraes, Vincent, Matthews, McLinden.

Regis 2000 1 Chichester City United 3 (aet)

This was a close-fought tie that looked to be heading the home side’s way until Chichester equalised two minutes from full-time.

Regis took the lead when Jack Parham picked out Ryan Barratt with a pinpoint pass and he calmly brought the ball down and shot past the keeper.

The second half saw Michael Charman and Dan Gonzalez go close for Regis.

The visitors began to commit more players forward, but Regis were defending strongly with James Shea, Ashley Carter and Dan Gonzalez excelling. With Regis close to victory, Chichester equalised and took the game to extra-time.

The first period of extra-time saw Regis create the better chances with Dan Watson breaking clear but unable to beat the goalkeeper.

Chichester took the lead with minutes remaining of the second period and, with the home side desperately pushing for an equaliser, they made the game safe with a late third.

REGIS: Tribe, Gonzalez, Shea, Carter, Charles, Haines, Marland, Barratt, Parham, Watson, Stevens, Charman, Burgess.


Felpham Colts 1 Ferring 3

Felpham lost out in an enthralling third-round cup tie and although Ferring deserved their win, a depleted Colts team pushed their higher-league opponents all the way.

Colts won a free-kick on the edge of the box and Peter Nicholls lost his marker to glance a header into the far corner. Ferring should have gone further behind when Harry Riseborough broke clear only for his final touch to let him down.

Determined defending led superbly by Matt Yates and David Stevens nullified the threat. It took a set-piece from Ferring to draw level, a Ferring forward coming in at the back post to steer the ball home.

Felpham’s chances took a severe blow when the influential Riseborough had to limp off and with Callum Mcmurchie also picking up a knock, he also played no further part.

Ferring took the lead when Calvin Negus palmed away a shot and a Ferring forward was on hand to put away the rebound. Nicholls had a chance to equalise but his well-struck shot found the side netting.

With Colts tiring, Ferring put the result beyond doubt with a well-taken third. It was a brave effort from Colts and they were left wondering what might have been.

FELPHAM: Calvin Negus, Alex Gardner, David Stevens, Matt Yates, Ewan Phillips, Bradley Lambert, Alex Droupin, Callum McMurchie, Peter Nicholls, Harry Riseborough, William Green. Subs: Ryan Jones, Lucas Cordosa.


Bourne Sports 0 Chichester City Colts 8

The Colts moved three points clear at the top of the league with a convincing win in the pouring rain.

A bright start bought early chances for Cheeseman and Herrington before Cheeseman opened the scoring.

Jack Graham won a penalty but failed to convert it. The hosts improved before Cheeseman scored two quick goals to complete his hat-trick and Graham finished a great team move to make it four at half-time.

In the second half the faultless Faulkner impressed at left-back and four more goals followed thanks to a hat-trick from Alex Jolley and a fourth for Cheeseman.

CHI COLTS: Humphreys, Stremes, Reedman, Smyth, Faulkner, Smith, Herrington, Trinder, White, Cheeseman, Graham, Jolley, Ruddick, Gilyead.


Pulborough 1 Predators 6

Predators took the game to Pulborough from the first whistle, attacking down the wings.

The opener was scored by J Howe after a great cross from Remnant was headed on by Doig.

Pulborough levelled with a quick breakaway goal but Predators settled and started to play the ball about.

Soon it was 2-1 – after a goalmouth scramble the ball came out to Keates who buried it.

The second half was one-way. The Predators defence were impassable and the midfield were winning every challenge.

A hat-trick for Jude Blackman and a final goal by Doig sealed a comfortable victory. Man of the match was Mackay.

After a poor start to the season, Predators have moved up the league with four wins in a row.

PREDATORS: Jude Blackman, Doig, Remnant, I Howe, J Howe, Mackay, Mitchell, Edwards, Searle, Strowger, White, Keates, Yeates.