City push them hard - but Bourne have the perfect Ansa

editorial image

We’re at the sharp end of the youth football season and cups and league titles are beginning to be won - with plenty of them going to teams in our area.


Bourne Sports A 3 Chi City Youth 2 (aet)

Alex Ansa struck a dramatic winner late in extra time to give Bourne Sports Challenge Cup glory.

Ansa drilled his right-foot strike across goal from outside the box – before a free-kick rattled Bourne keeper Bailey Carvalho’s crossbar moments later.

County Cup semi-finalists Bourne Sports, who have scored 16 goals during the tournament, deserved their victory after gradually taking a grip on a nervy contest.

Chichester, who beat league-winners Regis 2000 to get to the final, led 2-1 with five minutes of normal time left, but Ansa broke into their area only to be fouled.

Bourne’s Regan Miles converted the penalty to take it to extra-time.

Sam Grover, Bourne’s captain, and in-form Ryan Chittock had dominated the midfield throughout the game, and combined brilliantly with play-maker Josh Rafferty and the dazzling Liam Lancaster to give Grover a chance in the dying moments of normal time, but Chichester’s keeper, outstanding on the night, made a excellent save.

Bourne dominated possession once nerves settled and Joseph Matthews put them ahead after two minutes with his perfectly-directed header from a corner.

Both Chichester’s goals came from set-pieces – a lob from a free-kick and then a misjudged defensive header from a throw-in which gave them a tap-in.

Bourne Sports: Carvalho, Constable, Miles, Male, Filip, Grover, Matthews, Lancaster, Chittock, Rafferty, Douglas, Ansa, Ellis-Williams, Whibley-Conway.

Pagham Youth 1 Sompting & Thistle 0

Pagham produced a great performance to beat a strong Sompting side.

They scored the only goal with five minutes on the clock when Charlie McLinden was put through on goal and coolly rounded the keeper to slot home.

Ryan Carter in the Pagham goal produced a great save just before the break to keep Pagham ahead.

Karl Matthews was having an excellent game in midfield for Pagham and the defence of Southerton, Gosbee, Lane and Strachan were also great.

Pagham Youth 0 Lancing Rangers 2

In their final game, Pagham could not reproduce their winning form.

Had they won this they could have pinched second place in the table but will now have to settle for third or fourth.

Pagham should have taken the lead but Charlie McLinden struck the bar with a fierce shot.

Lancing scored their first just before the break and midway through the second half they scored again.

It has been a very good season for Pagham but with a slightly disappointing end.

PAGHAM: Carter, Lane, Southerton, Gosbee, Strachan, Guimaraes, Poole, Hurford, Vincent, Matthews, McLinden, Edwards, C Richardson, W Richardson.


Bognor Town Colts 4 Felpham Colts 1

Both teams were looking for a win. A victory would clinch the league title for Bognor but if Felpham could beat them they would still have hopes of snatching the title away from them.

Again Bognor had the bare 11 players but within five minutes, Calum Champ put them ahead.

A great save by keeper Ollie Suter saw Bognor keep the lead before a shot by Bognor’s James Hume fell to Craig Newson on the rebound to make it 2-0.

The second half saw Felpham go on the attack and they pulled one back.

Bognor’s keeper was stretched again but pulled off an excellent save to keep Bognor in front. A fantastic cross by Champ gave Craig Newson his second and then Newson completed his hat-trick close to the end.

The win means Bognor are A division winners for the third year running with 37 points and a massive goal difference after only losing one game all season.

They have been dogged by illness and injury among the players, even playing with ten men on a few occasions, so the winners’ medals have been well-earned by every player.

BOGNOR: Suter, Davies, Ediker, Newson, Mendosa, Lawrence, Neal, Walters, Jays, Irish, Champ.

Summerley Park Rangers 2 Selsey Seals 2

Summerley’s winning run came to an end on a glorious sunny afternoon against divisional runners-up Selsey Seals.

Although the title had been won, this was not a case of going through the motions.

Selsey have pushed Summerley all the way and turned up with a point to prove.

Summerley were able to field only ten players, but they matched Selsey all the way.

Mepham opened the scoring thanks to a through-ball from Raffertey.

Soon after, Mepham converted a penalty after Rafferty was brought down in the area by the Selsey keeper, sending Summerley in 2-0 up at half-time.

A stirring half-time team talk spurred on Selsey and they pulled a goal back soon after the interval. Two minutes from the end Selsey won a penalty which was coolly converted, despite Sargeant getting his hand to it.

Summerley remain unbeaten this season.

SUMMERLEY: Sargeant, Terry, Worlsley, Groom, Kilhams, Rafferty, Tilley-Griffin, Millard, Yates, Mepham.


Bosham 0 Worthing United 0

It was always going to be close between Worthing, now top of the division and still unbeaten, and Bosham, who are lying in third place.

Worthing were quickly into their game and created a couple of quick chances dealt with by the Bosham defence.

Worthing enjoyed most of the possession in the first half and tested the Bosham keeper Will Burch with a couple of good chances. Bosham’s best chance in the first half was free-kick by Jack Antony that was destined for the top corner until the worthing keeper got his fingertips to it.

The second half saw Worthing step up the pace a little. They had some good spells of pressure but Bosham defended superbly to keep the door shut.

Worthing had chances cleared off the line by Luke Ayling and Finn Rehill and again forced good saves from Burch.

Bosham did have a late rally with a good chance falling to Charlie Hawes who put his shot just wide.

There were solid performances from the Bosham defence of Aaron Domblides, Stuart Andrews, Phil Merrick and Justin d’Agar and from keeper Burch.

Man of the match was Justin d’Agar.


Chichester City Colts A 6 Sompting & This 2

The Colts came out victorious in this top-of-the-table clash with a brilliant second-half performance.

The visitors took an early lead through a well-struck free-kick from the edge of the box. Chichester were level shortly afterwards when George Stremes tapped home a Jack Graham corner.

Graham gave Chichester the lead when his cross-shot found its way in. Sompting were unlucky not to be level at half-time when they struck the bar.

Colts were dominant in the second half, creating numerous chances, and they increased the lead when Jack Gilyead struck an unstoppable shot from the edge of the area.

George Cody made it 4-1 and Graham got the fifth before Sompting scored from a quick free-kick. Cody added a sixth thanks to a great set-up from Cheeseman.

CHI CITY COLTS: Humphreys, Herrington, Smyth, Reedman, Faulkner, Stremes, Trinder, Gilyead, Cody, Graham, Shishkov, Ruddick, White, Cheeseman.


Worthing Minors Athletic 0 Barnham Trojans A 7

Backed by a vocal crowd, Barnham lifted the Invitation Cup with flowing football. Hobbs opened the scoring early on and quickly followed up with a second. Cook and Davidson made it four by half-time.

Barnham kept up the tempo in the second half with goals from Davidson, Shergold and Saunders, who drilled in a low left-foot after a fine run and cross by Shergold.

There was an excellent display by Ursell, controlling midfield, backed up by the defensive unit of Higgins-Pearce, Perry, Hassell and goalkeeper Clarke, who maintained their clean sheet record in all rounds of this season’s cup.

Thanks go to Kathy Wilson, the Saywell Arun & Chichester Youth League and Arundel FC for organising a great day.

BARNHAM: Clarke, Higgins- Pearce, Perry, Hassell, Ursell, Cook, Saunders, Hobbs, Davidson, Shergold.

Send your pictures of cup winners and finalists and league winners in the youth football world to