Clymping clip Robins' wings

A marvellous second-half comeback by Clymping stunned the home crowd and saw Clymping pull off a very unlikely 3-2 Sussex League third-division win to bring down the curtain on a year of fluctuating fortunes for the Reds.

Friday, 6th January 2012, 10:17 am
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 8:12 pm

For a long time, Tony Hancock’s team seemed on course for a morale-boosting victory to see the year off in the best way - but Clymping hadn’t read the script.

The Blues started well and tried their luck from long distance, but Callum Brockhurst’s shot whistled over the bar.

Bosham gradually settled and the game started to open up with end-to-end action keeping the large crowd engrossed.

Just before the half-hour the Reds deservedly got their noses in front thanks to the searing pace of Kieran Hartley.

He picked the ball up just inside the Clymping half and set off on a mazy run, leaving players in his wake, and was soon bearing down on the box. The striker needed no invitation to shoot and slotted the ball home delightfully past keeper Dave Hargreaves.

In the second period Bosham continued to push forward looking for more and soon doubled their lead.

Graeme Dowden easily beat a weak offside trap down the right and, closing in on the penalty area, slanted a ball into the danger zone. Everyone missed it but Matt Docherty was quick to react at the far post to cut the ball back to the onrushing Marc Maunder, who fired home.

Bosham were buzzing but could not have been prepared for the painful sting in the tail.

First Brockhurst screamed clear of the Reds’ back-line and had no trouble in beating keeper Simon Hasted to reduce arrears.

This resulted in a major switch in domination with Bosham looking tired and nervy and Clymping showing renewed vigour and confidence.

With five minutes left the inevitable happened and the Blues drew level. Sub Joel Clarke, showing great pace, latched on to a woeful pass at the back, stormed into the box and shot low into the net to bring the sides level.

Having brought on fresh legs, Bosham may have felt confident that at least a point from the game was no problem, but the Blues had other ideas and in injury time Steve Webb grabbed a sensational winner completing a swift break out of defence after being set up on a plate by the speedy and unselfish, Clarke.

At full-time, Bosham were left wondering how the points had got away – but if the men from Walton Lane thought a new year would bring a change of fortune they were to be proved wrong.

BOSHAM: Hasted, Stent, Redman, Blanshard, Jack Hancock, Probee, Maunder, Joe Hancock, Hartley, Docherty, Dowden. Subs: Fewell, Hillier, Bracher, Smith, Giambelardini.