Depleted Bognor play it cool at Canvey

The Rocks secured their third comfortable away victory in 11 days when goals by James Crane, Arron Hopkinson and Ollie Pearce killed off Canvey Island.

It was a depleted squad that lined up in Essex - Dan Thompson was ill and Ashley Harris injured, meaning Bognor had only four subs, included the injured Darryl Wollers and Kane Wills plus coach Daren Killpatrick

The early play was fast and furious but on 16 minutes a free kick by Pearce on the left found Craig Robson on the right and his shot across the goal was deflected off Canvey’s John Sands to Crane, who scrambled it in.

Bognor increased the lead on 18 minutes when good work by Crane down the left found Hopkinson in the middle and he dummied the defender, turned and slotted past the advancing Guzman Rosique in the Canvey goal.

The Rocks should have sealed it when an excellent move involving Doug Tuck and Hopkinson set Terry Dodd up - but his shot went inches wide.

Canvey fought back and an error by Dodd in the middle allowed Jay Curran to break and bear down on goal, but Grant Smith was alert and quickly off his line and produced a fine save.

On 32 minutes following a break down Canvey’s right, Hopkinson spotted the keeper off the line and his attempted chip was tipped over the bar at full stretch.

On 37 minutes a good overlap by Bryan-Edwards on the right ended in a cross met by a fine volley by Curran, again producing an excellent save by Smith.

Dodd was struggling, apparently with a foot injury, and he was replaced by Wollers on 42 minutes.

In the second minute of injury time in the first a mistake by Harvey Whyte allowed a Chatting cross to come in and Sands headed home unmarked.

Robson was booked on 49 minutes and after weathering a Canvey storm, Bognor got back into it. A sustained period of Bognor possession led to an attempt by Pearce going just over. Bognor continued to probe and good play by Wollers and Whyte nearly brought a third.

Smith saved well on 65 minutes following good play by Dumas before a move down the left involving Wollers and Whyte created a clear chance but a poor shot went wide.

Canvey made three substitutions in the last ten minutes while Bognor brought on Dan Sackman for Whyte.

On 88 minutes a superb pass by Tuck on the counter-attack to Pearce allowed the forward to slot past the advancing keeper and secure the points for Bognor.

Killpatrick came on for Pearce as Bognor played possession ball to secure the points

This was an excellent team performance in which everyone gave 100 per cent.

BOGNOR: Smith, Hinshwelwood, Crane, Tuck, Axten, Robson, Hopkinson, Chamberlain, Dodd, Pearce, Whyte. Subs: Wollers, Wills, Sackman, Killpatrick.