FA Cup: Chichester given the bird by Crows

Dan Smith on the ball for Chichester in their loss to Crowborough  Picture by Kate Shemilt
Dan Smith on the ball for Chichester in their loss to Crowborough Picture by Kate Shemilt

Chichester were knocked out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle in a 5-2 home defeat to Crowborough.

The match followed a similar pattern to the contest at Redhill seven days earlier, with Chichester holding their own during the first half before caving in after the interval.

Early on, it seemed the sultry conditions were going to lead to a pedestrian affair and it wasn’t until the 39th minute that the deadlock was broken.

Crows’ Scott Taylor blasted a 20-yarder into the top corner, giving debutant keeper Matt Evans no chance.

The visitors took control with two quick goals early in the second half, one from Scott Treleaven and then a Chris Ransome penalty after the linesman had flagged for a push.

Jack Blatchford pulled one back on 62 minutes but Ransome tapped in Crowborough’s fourth.

Attempts by the City forwards to launch attacks invariably seemed to be frustrated by the linesman, igniting a somewhat heated discussion among spectators at one point.

Treleaven claimed his second goal on 82 minutes before Chichester staged a late rally which culminated with teenage sub Corey Heath slicing in a late consolation.

City joint boss Alex Twitchen said: “I think it’s fair to say we didn’t get the share of the decisions and that was frustrating, which showed on the performance.

“We know it’s going to be a long road and we can’t expect success immediately so we just have to roll our sleeves up, work hard, keep focused, stay positive and keep thinking about the bigger picture.

“This year is about building the foundations and getting the culture and infrastructure right, once that is done we can move forward,” he added.

CHICHESTER: Evans, D Smith, Northeast, Hagan, Boniface, Bradshaw, Blatchford, Groom, Dormer, Potter, Watts. Subs: Heath, F Smith.