FA CUP: Lions roar through after penalties in replay

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

THE Lions roared onto an FA Cup clash with Carshalton Athletic as James Temple’s penalty in a shoot-out settled a replay with Lordswood that had everything.

After the two sides had played out a 0-0 stalemate on Saturday, Tuesday’s replay at Nyewood Lane saw the home side start much the better team although penalties were needed after it finished 1-1 after extra-time.

Howard Neighbour shot just wide and Joe Briggs also had a strike at goal, but his belter rebounded out to safety early on.

Andy Smallpiece was forced to race from his area early on to clear a Lordswood chance, whilst Mark Murison shot across Pagham’s goal.

Drama in the 11th minute saw Lordswood awarded a penalty, up-stepped Dimmock, but Andy Smallpiece did well to save a stinging spot-kick.

Murison shot over the bar, whilst Craig Harvey also had an opening for Lordswood as the visitors came more into the match.

Neighbour headed just over as the Lions stepped up a gear, having a strike cleared off Lordswood’s line.

The first goal came from Mark Murison for Lordswood on 39 minutes as his strike from the left gave Smallpiece no chance.

The lead lasted all of three minutes as Briggs bundled home an equaliser just before the break.

Two minutes into the second half and Pagham had hit both the post and crossbar with a shot that beat Matt Byott. Neighbour left the field on the hour as James Temple came on to change the pattern of the game and twice within a few minutes he had tested Byott.

The best shot of the match was a long-range effort from Scott Murfin that smacked onto the bar from some distance.

Back came Lordswood and Jones had to be at his best to clear from an onrushing forward.

Smallpiece acrobatically tipped the ball over from a superb strike, whilst Paul Jones did well to clear as it ended 1-1 at full-time.

The first period was only a minute or so old before a header from Temple rebounded off the post.

The Lions did get the ball in the net on 102 minutes, but an offside flag robbed them of the winner.

The second period of extra-time saw Temple capitalise on good work from Jones, while Lordswood went close from a corner.

Ryan Cox replaced Callum Cutler for Pagham with fresh legs needed with one eye on looming penalties.

Those penalties came as the game finished 1-1 after extra-time. The first spot-kick was well struck by Joe Kane for Lordswood, whilst Murfin kept the score equal.

Next Lordswood skipper Peter Huggens scored from the spot, whilst Briggs emulated the feat for the Lions.

Jordan Wells’ kick was well saved by Smallpiece and Pagham’s Daren Pearce made it 3-2 in Pagham’s favour.

Richard Styles then missed for Lordswood, leaving Temple to smash the ball home triggering jubilant scenes at Nyetimber Lane.

PAGHAM: Smallpiece, Killner, Ford, Pearce, Jones, Buckland (Harker 45), Briggs, N.Murfin, Neighbour (Temple 61), S.Murfin, Cutler, Cox. Subs: Williams, Booker, Binfield.