Fareham fight back... Royals are rampant... Deans denied

Jack James   Picture: Neil Marshall
Jack James Picture: Neil Marshall

Fareham Town showed their battling qualities in fighting back to force a 2-2 Wessex League premier division draw against Verwood at Cams Alders.

The Reds trailed by two goals at half-time but an improved second-half performance saw them salvage a vital point.

Manager Matt Parr remains adamant that his side can still avoid relegation.

‘We were well below our best in the opening 45 minutes and failed to adjust to the conditions,’ he said.

‘We dominated the second half, though, and could easily have snatched the win.

‘After being two goals down at the break we have to view it as a point gained rather than a couple lost.

‘Every point counts and we are still confident that we can overhaul Christchurch and stay up.’

Ashley Tattersall started the Reds fightback with a 62nd-minute goal and 10 minutes later Jack James fired in the equaliser.

AFC Portchester maintained pressure on the top three by storming to a 5-2 win at Alresford Town.

Recently signed American Nikolai Littleton grabbed a brace with Gary Moody, Louie Castles and Jamie Musselwhite adding further goals.

‘The new lad has got something about him and has certainly made an impression since turning up here,’ said Royals manager Graham Rix.

‘It was a decent performance and it is important to keep going right to the end of the season.

‘The players know there is still plenty to play for because we want to finish as high as possible.’

Horndean drew 0-0 with Fawley on a tricky playing surface at Five Heads Park.

‘That is our first goalless draw of the season and it wasn’t easy out there,’ said boss Dave Carter.

‘Our pitch has gone from being a quagmire to rock solid in the space of a couple of weeks.

‘Fawley came happy for a draw and sat deep behind the ball.

‘Our strikers have been on fire recently but this was just one of those days when nothing would go in.’

Dan Hayes went closest for the home side when his 65th-minute shot rebounded out off the inside of the post.