GALLERY: Rocks do all the questioning as Met Police are beaten

  • Dodd and Prior goals down the Met
  • Points take Bognor up to eighth
  • Wollers and Tuck back from injury

BOGNOR secured their first league win in six as they overcame an efficient Met Police side to put themselves right in among the sides chasing the play-offs.

With Ollie Pearce still out through injury, Terry Dodd got a start alongside Jason Prior up front. Jack Maloney replaced the injured Alex Parsons.

Good work from the Met’s Elliot Taylor in the early stages saw him create a chance for Nikki Ahamed, who could only divert a low attempt right at the goalkeeper.

On six minutes Chad Field - the Pompey Academy defneder back for a second spell at Nyewood Lane - scuffed a chance to put Bognor in the lead from long distance.

Keeper Chris Winterton outwitted Jake Reid, then Matt Pattison smacked the ball over the bar from point-blank range after Winterton parried a long-range effort out to him.

But Rocks did take the lead on 15 minutes when Stuart Green’s cross deflected off the crossbar and into the path of Dodd, who composed himself before slotting in from close range.

Jack Maloney on the attack for the Rocks versus Met Police  Picture by Louise Adams LA1500044-10

Jack Maloney on the attack for the Rocks versus Met Police Picture by Louise Adams LA1500044-10

On 22 minutes Joe Turner saw a long-range effort well stopped by Winterton.

Jake Thomson went to ground under a strong but late challenge from Reid but the referee didn’t deem any need to show cards.

Dodd had to be replaced on 28 minutes after a knock suffered earlier in the game.

On 33 minutes Winterton again had to punch clear from a long throw that was flicked on in the box.

A number of corners saw pressure being applied to the Bognor defence. Prior got back to head clear two of the corners as Bognor struggled to keep out a strong Met Police attack on 36 minutes.

Green forced the Met goalkeeper into a save and then did well to beat his marker before trying a cross which was cleared for a corner.

On 41 minutes a long lofted pass over the top found Reid but he didn’t quite get to it before Winterton and the players clashed. The Police appealed for a penalty but the referee ignored the claims.

James Crane and Taylor received yellow cards for complaining in the aftermath.

HT 1-0

Green latched on to a forward pass. But even though the player’s pace saw him make the penalty area, some solid defending saw him stopped at the last moment.

Pattison went to ground under a challenge and the referee spoke to Charlie Oatway on 59 minutes.

Field had to deflect a cross from Salmon as Met Police piled on the pressure.

On 63 minutes Bognor went two up against the run of play. Good work from Thomson on the right allowed him to reach the byline and a long hanging cross which found Prior all on his own on the back post. The striker controlled it before slotting calmly into the bottom corner.

Dean Bown scuppered a chance moments later as Met Police won the ball cheaply in midfield. The substitute lost his footing and the ball rolled harmlessly wide.

Doug Tuck came on for Bognor on 68 minutes to replace Maloney, signalling the end of a month out injured for the midfielder.

Harry Wedlake had to shield the ball to safety as Brown was causing problems. Winterton came to the rescue to gather the loose ball on 75 minutes.

Another player returning from injury - this time long-term casualty Daryl Wollers - came on for Crane with 12 minutes left.

The Police skied another chance over the bar when they managed to get the ball forward quickly two minutes last year.

Winterton gathered the ball from a high free-kick on the Met right as Bognor saw out a clean sheet and claimed another valuable three pointsto take them to eighth place.

The Rocks have another tough test next Saturday when they go to Enfield.

Rocks: Winterton, Nilsen, Crane (Wollers 78), Oatway, Field, Robson (c), Green, Thomson, Prior, Dodd (Wedlake 28), Maloney (Tuck 68)

Unused Subs: Sackman, Morey.

Att 474