Goals by the bucketload - but most at the wrong end for Midhurst

C101550-1 JPOS Spt Foot Mid Uck phot kate
C101550-1 JPOS Spt Foot Mid Uck phot kate

The holiday period was one to forget for Midhurst as they lost both games and let in 12 goals in the process.

At Lancing last Thursday, the home side had a goal feast, running out 8-1 winners. Things were much better on bank holiday Monday but the Rotherfield outfit still lost 4-3 at home to Storrington.

Lancing’s superb pitch and facilities give them a lift and they soon got going against Midhurst in the final Sussex League game of 2010.

Their first goal came from a corner and was scored by Dan McLaughlin.

Sixteen minutes had elapsed when Dave Charman beat Midhurst keeper Paul Williamson for number two.

Midhurst’s spirits were lifted as Harry Farr set up Lewis Hyde but his shot was blocked.

On 38 minutes, Sean Dummer netted for Midhurst but just when it seemed that the Midhurst defence were becoming more organised they conceded goals by Richard Hudson, who converted a penalty, and Lee Garnham, who powered a shot beyond Williamson.

After the break Lee Garnham netted goal number four. Midhurst were tiring and it was no surprise when the next ten minutes saw Lancing wrap up the game with goals by Hudson, McLaughlin, Darren Boswell and Shaz Sadough.

Midhurst conceded afterwards that Lancing are a good side who look promotion material.

MIDHURST: Williamson, Hatch, O’Leary, Glue, Taylor, Farr, Clayton, Hyde, Dummer, Williams, Sheldrick. Subs: Rapley, Brayson.

Following on the heavy defeat, Midhurst were looking to collecting a point or three when meeting Storrington at Rotherfield on Monday.

Midhurst started at a good pace in front of a good-sized bank holiday crowd.

Play was even for the first half-hour but then indecision in defence let Chris Harding and Tim Martin to net easy goals for Storrington. With five minutes to go before half-time Craig Grantham scored and with three goals against them it looked as if the previous game’s heavy defeat could be repeated.

The prospect of having to net more than three goals to win the game seemed beyond Midhurst.

But Luke Sheldrick scored just before the half-time whistle and ten minutes into the second half Sean Dummer made it 3-2.

Midhurst realised this game was not lost but suffered a big blow when midfielder James Glue badly twisted his knee and an ambulance took him to hospital.

His place was taken by Phil Churchill, who was soon in action converting a penalty given when James Davis made an over-enthusiastic tackle.

It had been a fabulous fightback but as the final whistle neared, Storrington netted a winner. Trevor Waller’s team are fourth from bottom.

MIDHURST: Williamson, Hatch, May, O’Leary, Glue, Taylor, Clayton, Hyde, Dummer, Farr, Sheldrick. Subs:Churchill, Rapley.

* Midhurst visit Uckfield this Saturday (3pm). The second XI host Rustington seconds.