Horror injury forces EP game to be abandoned

Hayden Hunter netted before East Preston's game was abandoned on Friday evening. Picture: Stephen Goodger
Hayden Hunter netted before East Preston's game was abandoned on Friday evening. Picture: Stephen Goodger

A second East Preston match of the season was abandoned owing to a serious injury on Friday evening.

Leading 4-1 in their Southern Combination League Division 1 encounter at Midhurst & Easebourne, the hosts’ Matt Mason suffered a double leg break with an hour on the clock, which forced the game to be called off.

Earlier in the campaign, East Preston’s home clash with Oakwood was abandoned in the first 45 minutes when the visitors’ Darren Tidey sustained a head injury.

Friday’s referee Alex Howard was also in the middle for the Oakwood clash but as Mason was made comfortable on Friday, Howard had no other option but to call time on the clash.

East Preston boss Bob Paine said: “First, our thoughts are with Matt Mason and we hope that he recovers quickly from a nasty injury.

“This is our second game this season we have had abandoned and it was the same referee, Mr Howard.

“It was a little frustrating with us playing so well and 4-1 ahead that the game had to be abandoned. Having said that, the players’ safety is paramount and calling the game off was the right decision.”

Up until the injury, East Preston were in control and responded well after going a goal behind.

Things did not start well for Paine’s side as they went a goal down after 16 minutes.

East Preston’s response was incredible and they quickly turned things around.

Skipper Tom Lyne led by example and headed his side level with 27 minutes on the clock.

EP were ahead for the first time seven minutes later when Hayden Hunter fired into the bottom corner.

Hunter was then hauled down two minutes before the break with a spot-kick awarded and Jack Barnes crashed it home.

A remarkable 18-minute spell was then rounded off as Dan Huet’s cross was headed home by Jared Rance to open up a 4-1 lead at the break.

On the hour, EP were awarded a second penalty as Huet rounded goalkeeper Patrick Cowell but the spot-kick would not be taken.

As Huet was brought down, he landed on Mason with the defender suffering a double leg break and the game was abandoned as he was taken to hospital in an ambulance.

EAST PRESTON: Cook; Josh Parazo, Lyne, Etherington, Jacob Parazo; Hallett, Barnes; Bull, Huet, Hunter; Rance. Subs: Purkis, Gilbertson, Mottershead, Taylor, Franzen-Jones.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/LittlehamptonGazette

3) Follow us on Twitter @LhamptonGazette

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Littlehampton Gazette - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.