Ladies’ football: Chichester rack up a delightful dozen

Chichester City Ladies breezed into the second round of the Sussex Cup on an eventful afternoon at Oaklands Park with a 12-2 win over Rottingdean.

They soon found their shooting boots but against the run of play Widdowson was cautioned for a late tackle on a slippery pitch and the resulting free-kick led to a shock goal for Rottingdean after nine minutes.

Rottingdean took a surprise 2-0 lead as Chichester were caught in possession leaving McNamara with no protection.

The Lillywhites were patient and pulled a goal back through Challen after Wride played a perfect pass.

Chichester were starting to dominate and Shrubb had a goal ruled out for offside.

The equaliser came on 24 minutes when Challen lobbed the keeper brilliantly from the edge of the box to score her second.

Shrubb won a penalty only for Starkey to miss it. A long ball from Widdowson led to Challen rounding the keeper for her hat-trick before the half-hour.

Shrubb played Challen through for her fourth before half time.

Rottingdean started the second half with confidence but were deflated when Challen forced a corner which was headed in by Widdowson.

Danni Paul came on and Rottingdean were rattled, constantly fouling the Chichester players.

Evans won a penalty in the 57th minute with Starkey putting her earlier miss behind her to convert.

Widdowson played in Wride, whose inviting ball to the back post saw Shrubb somehow miss.

Alexandre thwarted a rare Rottigdean attack with an excellent goal-saving tackle.

Challen was booked for an alleged late tackle when she had not touched the player.

Selby was brought down in the box and when Starkey missed again, she followed up to make it two for the afternoon.

Shrubb added another and Evans and a Shrubb double followed. Wride finished from an acute angle to make it 12-2 with six minutes to go.

CHICHESTER: McNamara, Hughes-Jones, Harnett, Starkey, Alexandre, Wride, Evans, Widdowson, Richardson, Challen, Shrubb. Subs: Selby, Ogden, Paul.